|Organized in Chepachet, RI by an "Act of the Colonial Legislature,"
October, 1774, as the "Company of Light Infantry of the Town of
Gloucester." In December of 1776 it became the 5th Company of
the 1st Regiment of the Brigade raised for the defense of the
United States in general and Rhode Island in particular. It returned
as Gloucester Light Infantry on May 6, 1780 when the regiment
was mustered out. Other wars, rebellions, etc., it participated in:
War of 1812, The Dorr Rebellion of 1842, Civil War (when it
became Company 1, 2nd Rhode Island Volunteers), Spanish
American War in 1898, and WWI. In 1923 it became Battery F,
The Gloucester Light Infantry was reorganized in June 1974, and
the original charter was reactivated by an act of the General
Assembly of May 5, 1975. It is an official Rhode Island Militia Unit
recognized by the Adjutant General. On October 19, 1980 its first
Armory was dedicated on the corner of Dorr Drive and Douglas
Hook Road in Chepachet, RI. In the past it has taken part in all
Bicentennial events in Rhode Island and at present hosts its own
Memorial Day Parade in Chepachet. In addition, the unit now
includes a Field Music detachment, created in June of 2006, under
the command of Major, JoAnna Arias.
Visit us on Facebook!!!
Hanson Memorial Armory
33 Dorr Dr.
Chepachet, RI 02814